VFP provides 10-week summer hands-on research experiences at Fermilab for faculty and student teams from community colleges and four-year institutions historically underrepresented in the research community. Faculty applicants must submit a research project proposal co-developed with Fermilab staff.
This program, sponsored by the Department of Energy Office of Science, aims to provide faculty with a competitive edge when applying for federal research funding.
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident at the time of application
- Full-time faculty member at an accredited U.S. college or university historically underrepresented in the U.S. research community
- Full-time faculty member in one of the following disciplines: physics, mathematics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer engineering, materials sciences, computational sciences, or environmental science
- Online DOE application
- Curriculum vitae
- Two letters of recommendation
- Application Period: October 16, 2018-January 10, 2019
- Program Dates: June 3-August 9, 2019
- Acceptance Date: March 2019
- Salary: $1,300.00 per week for 40-hour work peek
- Housing: Not provided or arranged by program.
- Transportation: Not provided or arranged by program.
- Entrance and exit surveys
- 1,5000-3,000 word presentation abstract
- Oral or poster presentation
- Peer poster or oral presentation review (1 page)