Accelerator Science Program to Increase Representation in Engineering, or ASPIRE, is a Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory fellowship providing immersive learning experiences, at Fermilab, to undergraduate and graduate (masters) engineering students, who are historically and contemporarily underrepresented in accelerator engineering fields, including Black, LatinX, and Indigenous identities, and women. ASPIRE is a partnership between Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory and all US colleges and universities, initially with Northern Illinois University.
The ASPIRE Fellows participate in the design, development and construction of world-leading particle accelerators, initially the PIP-II project, presently under construction at Fermilab.
Immersed in a leading-edge research and development environment through interactions with experienced, deeply knowledgeable, and often internationally renowned engineers and scientists, ASPIRE Fellows experience a lifetime opportunity to contribute to the construction of one of the most powerful particle accelerators in the world.
Under the guidance of an assigned mentor, ASPIRE Fellows realize professional growth through the acquisition of in-demand engineering skills and the establishment of professional networks within the U.S. accelerator science and technology community.
The ASPIRE Fellowship duration is fifteen to eighteen months, encompassing interleaved summers and academic year semesters. Fellows are expected to be resident at Fermilab during the summers, and possibly during portions of the academic year. Fellows are paid by Fermilab during the periods of residence.
Upon successful completion of the program, Fellows will have acquired accelerator engineering skills that will provide a platform for their future careers and/or post-graduate work in the case of undergraduate participants.
A primary goal of the ASPIRE program is to develop participants into competitive candidates for full-time employment in particle accelerator and related fields, including at Fermilab, upon Fellowship completion.
- Undergraduate junior and senior or post-graduate (masters) engineering students who are historically and contemporarily under-represented in accelerator engineering fields, including Black, LatinX, Indigenous identities, and women
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident at time of application
- Full-time enrollment in a 4-year program of study (for undergraduates) at all US colleges or universities for the duration of appointment
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
Before you apply, please have all your requirements ready. Once you submit the application you will no longer have access and will not be able to upload any missing requirements.
- Online Application – Application Walkthrough Video Guide
- Applications require an official academic transcript, one letter of recommendation, and a personal statement. (Due date for all is application close date).
- (Once you submit your application you will receive an email request to provide reference contact information. Once you provide the info we will email a link to your reference to upload the letter of recommendation)
- Schedule of proposed residency periods at Fermilab is required at time of application submission.
- Application Period: May 20, 2024 – August 30, 2024 (Flex dates).
- The initial residency period will be summer of 2024.
- Junior Undergraduate: $23.00 per hour
- Senior Undergraduate: $25.00 per hour
- Master (year 1): $1000 per week
- Master (year 2): $1050 per week
- Housing: Arranged housing partially subsidized by fellowship.
- Transportation: Paid round-trip airfare or mileage reimbursement if permanent address is more than 50 miles from Fermilab.
- Presentation abstract
- Oral presentation (Seminar)
- Written research project report
October 2, 2023 – January 4, 2024
To be considered for the internship you must upload all Requirements under the Internship Documentation section before you submit the application.
May 20, 2024 – August 30, 2024 (Flex dates)
February 22, 2024
Application is Open
To be considered for the internship you must upload all Requirements under the Resume section before you submit the application.