Undergraduate engineering students majoring in mining and related fields and are interested in learning more about construction procurement and management. Eligible students must be enrolled in four-year colleges and universities in the United States. While providing an opportunity to gain understanding and experience of underground excavation, construction, and management, this program will assist the Long-Baseline Neutrino Facility (LBNF), Far Site Conventional Facilities (FSCF) project in overseeing and documenting construction progress and supporting procurement and management activities. This program will be open to all candidates who wish to apply through Fermilab’s jobs website during the advertised time frame. The selected candidate(s) will work directly under the mentorship of a LBNF FSCF employee.
The position(s) will provide an opportunity to work on exciting projects in the field including, but not limited to, drill and blast excavation, ground support installation, shotcrete ad concrete construction, ventilation design and layout, and other aspects of underground construction.
For business majors, the program would support procurement and management activities for either the LBNF FSCF procurement team or the South Dakota Services Division.
Intern(s) would be based at the Sanford Lab in Lead, SD utilizing existing Fermilab office space.
- Enrollment in a U.S. college or university majoring in Mining, Civil Engineering, or Geotechnical Engineering or
- Enrollment in a U.S. college or university majoring in Business
- 3.0 grade point average or above on a 4.0 scale
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Online application and questionnaire
- Unofficial transcript
- Two letters of recommendation (Please add your references contact information in the application. We will send the letter request directly to your references).
- Application Period: December 22, 2020 – April 5, 2021
- Program Dates: May 17 – August 13, 2021
- Acceptance Date: April 2021
- Salary: $15/hr.
- Housing: Not provided
- Transportation: Not provided
- Oral presentation
- Poster presentation
May 17 – August 13, 2021
*The internship is intended to be in-person in Lead, South Dakota, but a virtual program and/or cancellation may be necessary based on COVID-19 considerations.
Ready to apply?
Fill out the online application, and be prepared to present any other application requirements.