The Fermilab and Brookhaven Summer School Exchange Program (FBSEP) is a unique opportunity for undergraduate freshmen majoring in STEM fields to participate in a summer school experience at both Fermilab and Brookhaven National Laboratory. Students will spend 3 weeks at each laboratory as a cohort with full group meetings at the midpoint and end of the program. The summer school will provide an introduction to particle physics, artificial intelligence, and quantum science. Students will learn about each topic as it relates to the cutting-edge research being conducted at each national lab while exploring the abundance of career opportunities available. There are no prerequisite courses required to participate. Eligible students must be enrolled in accredited colleges and universities (both 2-year and 4-year institutions).
- Undergraduate freshmen at the time of application enrolled full-time in a 2-year or 4-year accredited institution. You must be 18 years or older to participate.
- STEM Major
- U.S. citizen and evidence of identity and eligibility to work in the United States
- Applicants with a 2.0-3.0 GPA in STEM courses are strongly encouraged to apply
- There are no STEM course requirements required to participate in the program
Before you apply, please have all your requirements ready. Once you submit the application you will no longer have access and will not be able to upload any missing requirements.
- Online application
- Supplemental Questionnaire
- One letter of recommendation
- (Once you submit your application you will receive an email request to provide reference contact information. Once you provide the info we will email a link to your reference to upload the letter of recommendation)
- List of high school and college level STEM courses with grades (Please upload documents via the “Resume” section of the application.)
- Program Dates: July 1, 2024 – August 9, 2024
- Application Period: December 15, 2023 – January 31, 2024
- Offer Date: February 15, 2024
- Acceptance Period: February 22, 2024
- Salary: (Fermilab)/Stipend (Brookhaven National Lab): $500.00 weekly
- Housing: Arranged housing paid for by the program.
- Transportation: Paid round-trip airfare (to both Fermilab and Brookhaven) and transportation from the airport to housing
- Pre and post-program surveys
- Presentation of Program Work
- Exit surveys
December 15, 2023 – January 31, 2024
July 1, 2024 – August 9, 2024
Application is Closed
To be considered for the internship you must upload all Requirements under the Internship Documentation section before you submit the application.