VFP provides 10-week summer hands-on research experiences at Fermilab for faculty and student teams from community colleges and four-year institutions historically underrepresented in the research community. Faculty applicants must submit a research project proposal co-developed with Fermilab staff.
This program, sponsored by the Department of Energy Office of Science, aims to provide faculty with a competitive edge when applying for federal research funding.
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident at the time of application
- Full-time faculty member at an accredited U.S. college or university historically underrepresented in the U.S. research community
- Full-time faculty member in one of the following disciplines: physics, mathematics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer engineering, materials sciences, computational sciences, or environmental science
- Online DOE application
- Curriculum vitae
- Two letters of recommendation (Due date is application close date).
- A research project proposal that is co-developed with FNAL staff
- 2024 Summer Application Period: October 17, 2023 – January 9, 2024 at 5pm ET
- 2024 Summer Acceptance Date: April 8, 2024
- 2024 Summer Program Date: June 3, 2024 – August 9, 2024
- VFP Faculty Salary: $1,600 per week for 40-hour work week
- VFP Student Salary: $650 per week for 40-hour work week
- Housing: Housing arranged and housing allowance will be provided to VFP-Student.
- Transportation: Paid round-trip airfare, or mileage reimbursement if permanent address is more than 50 miles from host laboratory. Travel by a private automobile will be reimbursed at the current government rate up to a maximum of $500.00 or the cost of the lowest commercial airfare, whichever is lower.
- Entrance and Exit surveys (Required for both students & faculty)
- Oral presentation (Required for students; faculty strongly encouraged)
- Research Project Report (Required for both students & faculty)
- General Audience Abstract (Required for students)
- Peer Review (Required for students)