VFP provides 10-week summer hands-on research experiences at Fermilab for faculty and student teams from community colleges and four-year institutions historically underrepresented in the research community. Faculty applicants must submit a research project proposal co-developed with Fermilab staff.
This program, sponsored by the Department of Energy Office of Science, aims to provide faculty with a competitive edge when applying for federal research funding.
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident at the time of application
- Full-time faculty member at an accredited U.S. college or university historically underrepresented in the U.S. research community
- Full-time faculty member in one of the following disciplines: physics, mathematics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer engineering, materials sciences, computational sciences, or environmental science
- Online DOE application
- Curriculum vitae
- Two letters of recommendation
- A research project proposal that is co-developed with FNAL staff
- Application Period: October 16, 2019-January 10, 2020
- Program Dates: June 1-August 7, 2020
- Acceptance Date: March 2020
- Salary: $1,400.00 per week for 40-hour work peek
- Housing: Housing arranged and paid for by host laboratory.
- Transportation: Paid round-trip airfare, or mileage reimbursement if permanent address is more than 50 miles from host laboratory. Travel by a private automobile will be reimbursed at the current government rate up to a maximum of $500.00 or the cost of the lowest commercial airfare, whichever is lower.
- Entrance and Exit surveys
- Oral presentation
- Research Project Report