Undergraduates students majoring in physics and who are interested in quantum computing for the simulation of physics are invited to apply. In this three-week online-only program, participants will gain hands-on experience programming for existing quantum computers using Python and Qiskit. This will be supplemented by daily lectures on the fundamentals of quantum mechanics and quantum computing. The program will culminate in participants running their own code on an IBM quantum computer.
This program aims to increase the representation of underrepresented groups (Black, Hispanic/Latino, Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, Alaska Native/American Indian) and women in scientific research and the engineering workforce.
- Enrollment in a U.S. college or university in Physics
- Completed year of introductory level Physics course
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Unofficial transcript
- A short statement of interest in the topic (Two paragraphs is sufficient, no more than a page) (Statement must be added under the application’s ESSAY section)
- Application Period: December 1, 2021 – March 1, 2022 (Application will close at 2pm CST)
- Program Dates: June 20 – July 8, 2022
- Acceptance Date: No later than March 31, 2022
- Salary: $20/hr.
- Housing/transportation: Not provided
- Basic Proficiency with Python and Qiskit through development of personal code base
- Opportunity for a paid year-long internship at Fermilab researching quantum computing.