Undergraduate students majoring in physics and who are interested in quantum computing for the simulation of physics are invited to apply. In this three-week online-only program, participants will gain hands-on experience programming for existing quantum computers using Python and Qiskit. This will be supplemented by daily lectures on the fundamentals of quantum mechanics and quantum computing. The program will culminate in participants running their own code on an IBM quantum computer.
This program aims to increase the representation of underrepresented groups (Black, Hispanic/Latino, Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, Alaska Native/American Indian) and women in scientific research and the engineering workforce.
- Enrollment in a U.S. college or university in Physics
- Completed year of introductory level Physics course
- Eligible to work in the United States
Before you apply, please have all your requirements ready. Once you exit the application you will no longer have access and will not be able upload any missing requirements.
- Unofficial transcript (Upload under the Resume section)
- A short statement of interest in the topic (Two paragraphs is sufficient, no more than a page) (Upload under the Resume section)
- Application Period: Dec 9, 2022- March 15, 2023
- Program Dates: June 5 – June 23, 2023
- Acceptance Date: April 3, 2023
- Salary: $20/hr.
- Housing/transportation: Not provided
- Basic Proficiency with Python and Qiskit through development of personal code base
- Opportunity for a paid year-long internship at Fermilab researching quantum computing.