Congratulations! We are happy that you will be joining us at Fermilab. Here are some things you need to know.
The dress code is casual but neat; jeans and T-shirts are acceptable. Summers in the Chicago area can be hot and humid but can also be cool; expect anything!
Practices and guidelines
The following current practices and guidelines apply to the employment of summer program participants:
- Work hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (unless told otherwise)
- Each time you enter Fermilab you must show a picture ID.
- Information on working at Fermilab can be found at: Fermilab website
- You can sign up to receive Fermilab Today, a daily online calendar, at: Subscribe to Fermilab Today
- You will receive your first paycheck on the second Friday after you arrive. Please be sure to have enough money to last until that date. Normally all paychecks are direct deposited. Until you have an account in a U.S. bank, you will be able to receive a paper check on the 4th floor of the Wilson Hall and cash it at the Abri Credit Union located on the ground floor of the same building. Independence Day and Labor Day are holidays and Fermilab will be closed.
You will need to show proof that you have health insurance. Based on the previous experience, we recommend you use insurance issued by a U.S.-based company. The Fermilab Users Office has more information on obtaining short-term health insurance. You must purchase your insurance before you leave your home country.
SAFETY is a primary concern at Fermilab; we expect all employees to work safely at all times and to report any unsafe practices to a supervisor.
Fermilab provides housing. This may be on-site dorm rooms, on-site houses, or off-site apartments. We will provide detailed information closer to your arrival. All interns may share housing with other interns. We do not allow any pets at the apartments.
We provide rental cars to interns. Only licensed drivers are permitted to drive the cars. Roommates share a rental car—no one driver has sole use of the car. Fermilab pays for the insurance and car rental. Roommates are responsible for the cost of the gasoline.