The TARGET Program is a highly competitive six-week summer internship opportunity for Illinois high school sophomores and juniors who have a strong interest and demonstrated an aptitude for physics, mathematics, computer science, and engineering. The program’s design combines both work and experiential learning.
TARGET encourages high school students to undertake college study and pursue careers in STEM disciplines. Increasing the number of minorities (Black, Hispanic/Latino, Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, Alaska Native/American Indian) and women in science, engineering, and computer science is a program priority.
Annually, the TARGET Program cohort is approximately 15-25 interns.
Questions? Visit our TARGET FAQs
- 2022-2023 high school sophomores and juniors (at time of application, the student must be a Sophomore or Junior).
- Illinois high school enrollment
- 3.0 grade point average or above on a 4.0 scale
- Eligible to work in the United States
IMPORTANT: Before you apply, please have all your unofficial transcript ready. Once you exit the application you will no longer have access and will not be able upload any missing requirements.
- Online application
- Application Questionnaire
- Unofficial transcript (Please upload under resume section)
- Two letters of recommendation (Once you submit your application you will receive an email request to provide reference contact information. Once you provide the info we will email a link to your reference to upload the letter of recommendation)
- Reference 1: Science Teacher – Contact Information
- Reference 2: Math Teacher – Contact Information
- Application Period: December 15, 2022 – February 1, 2023
- Program Dates: June 26, 2023 – Aug 4, 2023
- Acceptance Date: April 30, 2023
- Oral presentation
December 15, 2022 – February 1, 2023
June 26, 2023 – Aug 1, 2023
May 31, 2023
Application is Open
Be prepared to complete the online application, questionnaire and upload transcript and provide two references contact information. All requirements must be met in order to be considered for the internship.