The TARGET Program is a highly competitive six-week summer internship opportunity for Illinois high school sophomores and juniors who have a strong interest and demonstrated an aptitude for physics, mathematics, computer science, and engineering. The program’s design combines both work and experiential learning.
TARGET encourages high school students to undertake college study and pursue careers in STEM disciplines. Increasing the number of minorities (Black, Hispanic/Latino, Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, Alaska Native/American Indian) and women in science, engineering, and computer science is a program priority.
Annually, the TARGET Program cohort is approximately 15-25 interns.
Questions? Visit our TARGET FAQs
- 2020-2021 high school sophomores and juniors (at time of application, the student must be a Sophomore or Junior).
- Illinois high school enrollment
- 3.0 grade point average or above on a 4.0 scale
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Online application and Questionnaire
- Unofficial transcript
- Two letters of recommendation
- Reference 1: Science Teacher – Contact Information
- Reference 2: Math Teacher – Contact Information
- Application Period: December 14, 2021 – February 1, 2022
- Program Dates: June 27 – August 5, 2022
- Acceptance Date: May 2022
- Salary: $15.00 per hour
- Oral presentation
Dec 14, 2021 – Feb 1, 2022
June 27 – August 5, 2022
Application is Open
Be prepared to complete the online application, questionnaire and upload transcript and provide two references contact information. All requirements must be met in order to be considered for the internship.