QuarkNet offers summer research opportunities in science and technology for students who have demonstrated a strong interest in and aptitude for science and mathematics. Students work with scientists for six weeks on projects related to the Fermilab research program.
Interns are encouraged to express preferences for areas of research in which they have a particular interest, although research projects vary yearly, based on the availability of projects ongoing at the lab. Projects will be a subset of the research areas which constitute the mission of Fermilab, and are described in the lab webpage.”
- High school sophomores, juniors, and seniors when applying. Juniors with experience programming computers or working with mechanical or electrical systems are encouraged to apply.
- U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status
- Evidence of identity and eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Work authorization if under 16 years of age. This refers to a work authorization for minors (sometimes called a “minor work permit”) that students under 16 must get through their school district. Your high school guidance counselors should have more information.
- Proof of medical insurance
- Applicants are asked to commit to attending the entire six-week internship period. Your availability may affect your acceptance into the program. Although, we understand that school or family commitments can happen, missing any portion of the internship program is highly discouraged.”
- Online application
- One letter of recommendation (reference letters are submitted directly to Fermilab by the writers via our system). We will send the writer a link to submit the letter to us directly.
Essay Guideline: Pick a scientific fact you find interesting. In an 800-1,000-word essay, please share a way in which you have observed or been affected by this fact in your everyday life.
- Application Period: 2022- TBD
- Program Dates: 2022- TBD
- Acceptances sent: 2022- TBD
- Salary: $15.00 per hour
- Transportation/Housing: Fermilab does not provide housing, meals, or any transportation.
- We can provide a list of local hotels near Fermilab with discounted rates. Email us at TAInternships@fnal.gov to request a copy.
- Entrance and exit surveys
- Team research abstract
- Oral presentation
Applicants to the program agree to have their contact information shared with the College of DuPage.