Sponsored by the Department of Energy Office of Science, the SQMS Quantum Undergraduate Internship places undergraduate sophomore and junior physics and engineering majors in paid 10-week summer internships at the National QIS Center Superconducting Quantum Materials and Systems (SQMS). Students will have the opportunity to work at Fermilab and at one of the twenty SQMS partner institutions such as Rigetti Computing, Northwestern University, Ames National Lab, NASA Ames and more.
SQMS is one of five elite National Quantum Initiative centers funded by the DOE and was established with the goal of building and deploying a beyond-the-state-of-the-art quantum computer based on superconducting technologies. This internship offers students the opportunity to work with SQMS Center scientists and engineers on projects at the frontier of scientific research in quantum science and technology.
The summer 2021 the SQMS Quantum Undergraduate Internship program will be held either virtually or in person. This program is aimed at expanding diversity in our Center; we define diversity broadly as any group that is historically or contemporarily underrepresented in the STEM fields, including under-represented minorities, first generation students, and women.
- Full-time undergraduate enrollment at an accredited institution
- Minimum 18 years of age
- High school diploma or certificate of General Education Development (GED)
- May participate in the program for up to three summers
- Motivation statement which should cover:
- the applicant’s personnel trajectory towards a STEM career path
- a brief description of previous research experience
- interest in a particular SQMS research area
- how the applicant would contribute to the diversity of the SQMS center
- unofficial transcript
- Two letters of Recommendation
- Application Period: March 29, 2020 – April 23, 2021
- Program Dates: May 31 – August 31, 2021 (flexible start/end dates)
- Acceptance Date: 5/21/2021 (If you didn’t receive an offer on 5/21/2021 you were not selected. We thank you for applying and encourage you to apply next year.
- Salary: $600.00 per week
- Will cover travel and accommodations if required
Transportation: Paid round-trip airfare, or mileage reimbursement if permanent address is more than 50 miles from host laboratory.
- Participation in the weekly SQMS Center meetings
- Delivering presentations at certain meetings
- Final poster presentation at the annual SQMS all hands meeting
- Research abstract
- 1,500-3,000 Research project report
March 29 – April 23, 2021
May 31 – August 31, 2021 (flexible start/end date)
*The internship will be either virtual or in person. Will be decided closer to the internship start date.
Ready to apply?
Fill out the online application. Note: The motivation statement must be attached into the ESSAY section.