The Fermilab Environmental Management Internship (FEMI) program offers undergraduate freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors including Community College students, majoring in the environmental field (environmental studies, environmental management, environmental engineering, environmental science, or geoscience), the opportunity to conduct real world environmental compliance activities (surface and/or ground water monitoring and surveillance, environmental evaluations, data analysis, etc.) and to shadow environmental professionals at Fermilab sites (IL or SD) during summer months.
The 12-week paid summer internship consists of work assignments that include reviewing Environmental Review Forms, Air Emissions data, assisting with Sustainability measures, groundwater analysis, field work (collection of ground water, surface water and sanitary samples).
This Internship aims to increase the representation of underrepresented groups (Black, Hispanic/Latino, Asian, Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, Alaska Native/American Indian) and women in environmental management study and careers.
- Enrollment in a U.S. Community College or 4-year university
- Majoring in Environmental Studies, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Management, Environmental Science, Conservation, Geoscience or a related field
- 3.0 grade point average or above on a 4.0 scale
- Able to conduct field work in an outdoor setting
- Eligible to work in the United States
Before you apply, please have all your requirements ready. Once you submit the application you will no longer have access and will not be able to upload any missing requirements.
- Online application – Application Walkthrough Video Guide
- Unofficial transcript
- One letter of recommendation (reference letters are submitted directly to Fermilab by the writers via our system). We will send the writer a link to submit the letter to us directly. (Due date is application close date).
- Essay Guideline: Short answer questions*: Please write short (< 200-word) responses to the following questions:
- What do you hope to get out of this internship experience?
- What would the ideal environmental management internship teach you?
- Describe a time you worked with a team to complete a task/goal.
- Application Period: October 2, 2023 – January 4, 2024
- Program Dates: May 20, 2024 – August 9, 2024
- Offer Date: February 15, 2024
- Acceptance Period: February 22, 2024
. Freshman: $17.20 per hour
. Sophomore: $21.00 per hour
. Junior: $23.00 per hour
. Senior: $25.00 per hour
- Housing: Housing will be provided if permanent address is more than 50 miles from the laboratory.
- Transportation: Transportation will be provided or arranged by the program.
- Authoring a Fermilab Today article about the experience
- Final Report presented orally to Fermilab staff and submitted to the laboratory in writing
October 2, 2023 – January 4, 2024
May 20, 2024 – August 9, 2024
Application is Open
To be considered for the internship you must upload all Requirements under the Internship Documentation section before you submit the application.