Undergraduate sophomores and juniors majoring in physics, engineering (mechanical, electrical and computer), materials science, mathematics and computer science conduct research with Fermilab scientists and engineers. Eligible students must be enrolled in four-year colleges and universities in the United States. SIST aims to increase the representation of underrepresented groups (Black, Hispanic/Latino, Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, Alaska Native/American Indian) and women in scientific research and the engineering workforce.
- Undergraduate sophomore or junior at time of application
- 4-year U.S. college or university enrollment
- 3.0 grade point average or above on a 4.0 scale
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Online application
- Unofficial transcript
- Two letters of recommendation
- Application Period: December 3, 2018-February 1, 2019
- Program Dates: May 20-August 9, 2019
- Acceptance Date: March 1, 2019
- Housing: Arranged housing partially subsidized by program.
- Transportation: Paid round-trip airfare, or mileage reimbursement if permanent address is more than 50 miles from host laboratory.
. Freshman: $15.83 per hour
. Sophomore: $17.45 per hour
. Junior: $19.00 per hour
. Senior: $20.56 per hour
- Attendance at the Undergraduate Lecture Series
- Presentation abstract (150 words)
- Oral presentation
- Poster presentation
- Written research project report