Undergraduate sophomores and juniors majoring in physics, engineering (mechanical, electrical and computer), materials science, mathematics and computer science conduct research with Fermilab scientists and engineers. Eligible students must be enrolled in four-year colleges and universities in the United States. SIST aims to increase the representation of underrepresented groups (Black, Hispanic/Latino, Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, Alaska Native/American Indian) and women in scientific research and the engineering workforce.
- Undergraduate sophomore or junior at time of application
- 4-year U.S. college or university enrollment
- 3.0 grade point average or above on a 4.0 scale
- Eligible to work in the United States
Before you apply, please have all your requirements ready. Once you exit the application you will no longer have access and will not be able upload any missing requirements.
- Online application
- Unofficial transcript (Upload to Resume section)
- Two letters of recommendation (You will receive an email request to provide reference contact information. Once contact info is received, we will send the letter request directly to your references).
- Application Period: October 27, 2022 – January 23, 2023
- Program Dates: May 22 – August 11, 2023
- Acceptance Date: March 31, 2023
. Freshman: $15.84 per hour
. Sophomore: $21.00 per hour
. Junior: $23.00 per hour
. Senior: $25.00 per hour
- Housing: Arranged housing partially subsidized by program. Housing will only be provided if the internship is held on-site.
- Transportation: Paid round-trip airfare, or mileage reimbursement if permanent address is more than 50 miles from host laboratory.
- Attendance at the Undergraduate Lecture Series
- Presentation abstract (150 words)
- Oral presentation
- Poster presentation
- Written research project report
October 27, 2022 – January 23, 2023
May 22 – August 11, 2023
*This internship will be either virtual or in-person. Will be decided closer to the internship start date.
Application is Open
IMPORTANT: Do not submit the application unless you have completed all four requirements the same day that you apply.